Exams and datelines are challenging stressors. It can come from nervousness of anticipation or the fear of failure or just simply, early brain fatigue. To keep the mind sharp and improve mental agility, natural concentration boosters can be used throughout the day at work, home or school.
Natural Concentration Boosters (Nutrition)
Breakfast Foods Boost Your Focus
Protein- and fiber-rich oatmeal is heart and arteries friendly. Kids who ate sweetened oatmeal did better on memory-related school tasks than those who ate a sugary cereal. Sweeten oatmeal with natural fruits.
Wheat bran cereal
Wheat bran cereal is heart healthy and improve your mental function. Containing about 30 milligrams of zinc per box, it is the essential mineral playing a crucial role in memory formation and cognitive stability.
Lunch/Dinner Pacers for Concentration
Hard boiled egg can improve your ability to focus during the day. Egg containing choline, in the vitamin B group, is linked to improved performance on verbal and visual memory tests in adults.
Fish is a good source of vitamin D and omega-3s protecting the brain from declining mental skills and memory loss. People who are deficient in omega-3’s are more likely to have poor memory, mood swings, depression and fatigue. The main sources of fatty fish are salmon, trout, mackerel, herring, sardines, tuna, pilchards and kipper. .
Green tea helps you focus via two ingredients: it contains caffeine, and l’theanine. Caffeine helps you focus and improves your alertness. L’theanine is an ingredient that’s been shown to “increase alpha-wave activity”, which increases tranquility and releases caffeine gradually in slowwer doses .The two ingredients combines to emit a better ability to focus attention, with improvement of both speed and accuracy.
Snacks to Focus
Nuts and seeds
To boost mood and keep your nervous system stable:
- Peanut butter on celery sticks. The protein content helps in satiety and focus.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in folate, vitamin E and selenium helps in boosting mood.
- I love pesto, made from nuts combined with olive oil and dark leafy greens serve over whole-grain pasta or just on wholemeal bread.
Natural Concentration Boosters (Physiology)
Exercise Does Wonders!
Exercising either in the morning or during the day can naturally help improve your focus. Exercising moderately at night can help you relax in preparation for a good sleep, so that your mind is sharp the next day. When you do aerobic exercises, this helps boost the neurotransmitter catecholamines in the body which increases concentration levels. A jog, run, or even a brisk walk helps improve focus.
7 hours of sleep has been proven to show better grades in students. A good night’s sleep translate into better academic performance because new knowledge is integrated into our existing knowledge base while we sleep.
Natural Concentration Boosters (Psychology)
How do we avoid these obstacles psychologically?
1. Fear of failure or “atychiphobia” is the debilitatingly intense worry you experience when you imagine all the horrible things that could happen if you failed to achieve a goal.
Solution? Take note of the keyword “imagine” in the sentence above. You are driving yourself crazy with your imagination.
2. Perfectionism is a personality trait characterized by a person’s striving for flawlessness. Be reminded, othing is flawless. Strive for excellence instead of perfectionism.
3. Critical self-evaluations. You are the best person to be kind to yourself. Be kinder to yourself – motivate yourself instead of critize. Brain works better on positivity.
4. Control what you can. Perform your best. You can’t control what people think of but you can control to increase your confidence by steadfastly doing your job well.
Well, now you have prepared yourself well nutritionally, physiologically and psychologically. Remember…a happy body is a focused brain.
Yours always in good health and happiness,
Dr Dee Dee Mahmood